1489 of 64508 members online
Coffee Machines 720 GetFrank GymJunkie Menu Mania Snow Surf Varsity

Forgot Your Password? Create Account
[quote]
Does the dish point to the same location as it would if it were connected to sky? What is it pointing to? I always thought it was to a transmitter on the sky tower...

Aaanyway, I'm currently troubleshooting my new box. It outputs to the TV right until I plug the aerial in. Then the thing seems to want to shut off. Or I can have the aerial plugged in and as soon as I plug in the TV bits to the TV it does the same. Putting it like that makes it sound like a problem with the box actually... damn...

But I also have to ring the building manager and try to get more info out of him, he wasn't very, lets say, "technically-minded" but he gave me the distinct impression that the giant dish on our building that points to sky tv is wired into every apartment and connects though the aerial plug in the wall... Of course if it also serves up analogue TV from the same plug I'd be a little surprised... that wouldn't be possible would it? Mind you it would explain why analogue TV here is so terrible...

Okay ramble over... over to you guys.
[quote]
sky and freeview come from the same satellite.

sat and terrestrial tv are not compatible as far as im aware.

satellite tv is from a satellite strangely enough Razz

Not sure if the sky tower is a uhf freeview transmitter - could be.
[quote]
bob said:

satellite tv is from a satellite strangely enough Razz



I think some apartment blocks do some weird thing where they have a satellite but send a select number of channels down the shared aerial cables. Possibly similar to a hotel/motel?
[quote]
*have satellite but don't have the satellite cable into each apartment
[quote]
Right so its a signal converter, limited number of stations as they need a decoder for each station.
[quote]
bob said:
Not sure if the sky tower is a uhf freeview transmitter - could be.


90% of VHF/UHF TV transmissions in Auckland come from Waiatarua, but the Skytower also provides some infill coverage, primarily for the inner city. However very few places actually use it. (There are also I _think_ two other minor infill antennas too. One is way the fuck out on the Shore somewhere) And yes it does Freeview UHF.

PFunk said:
I think some apartment blocks do some weird thing where they have a satellite but send a select number of channels down the shared aerial cables. Possibly similar to a hotel/motel?


I'm picking it's this. What kind of antenna connector are you plugging in mung?



One of them?
[quote]
kris_b said:
One is way the fuck out on the Shore somewhere)


On a hill in/near Torbay I think.
[quote]
Smiley said:
the giant dish on our building that points to sky tv is wired into every apartment and connects though the aerial plug in the wall... Of course if it also serves up analogue TV from the same plug I'd be a little surprised... that wouldn't be possible would it? Mind you it would explain why analogue TV here is so terrible...

I thought that as well for a while - but it's exactly how my building is wired up. Single connection in the wall that provides (crappy) analogue signal and the Sky satellite feed.
Interestingly the storm last week knocked the dish offline and I discovered we seem to be getting a Freeview Sat feed of free-to-air over UHF channels as well (as I got a non-Sky "No Signal" image where the good reception free-to-air's were). That must require a freeview decoder someone in our building that is then feeding into the UHF stream (in fact, I guess it's multiple as different channels are on different frequencies).
[quote]
The socket in the wall is just your usual RF kind, but I was given the distinct impression that it also delivers whatever the satellite dish serves.

Yeah the Satellite box has that type of plug, I had to buy some cable from DSE & it came with an RF adapter for one end, so perhaps it's a common thing.

Sometimes I think I should have just bought the terrestrial/HD box instead until I remember why I didn't: they are overpriced.
[quote]
ahhhhh. nope, in that situation, i'm confident in saying your DVB-S box is useless. the RF setup in the wall will only be spitting out analog stuff.
[quote]
Sky and Freeview are still different polarities right? So you cant put a Sky and Freeview box on the same dish...?
[quote]
kris_b said:
the RF setup in the wall will only be spitting out analog stuff.

That's what I thought - but that's exactly how my building is setup. I have one "RF-looking" socket that provides the satellite feed (i.e. is plugged into the satellite-in socket on my Sky box) but also provides (admittedly bad) analog feed when I plug it into the aerial in on my TV.

Plus I may have freeview boxes in the building feeding the internal network because when I tune to certain UHF channels I can get, say, TV3 - but the signal goes with rainfade and gives a No Signal image generated from somewhere...
[quote]
Andrew said:
Sky and Freeview are still different polarities right? So you cant put a Sky and Freeview box on the same dish...?


http://www.geekzone.co.nz/simon14/2826



we have two dishes at work, one which may be old style and one which will def be new style. if i can find another sat cable around i can try piggybacking both STB's at some point.
[quote]
interesting gdub. i'd say that it isn't working for smiley means his isn't set up in that manner.