THERE'S NO DOUBT ABOUT IT... LADY GOT SOUL
On 20th April 2012, Universal Music NZ will release the perfect gift for Mother’s Day in Lady Got Soul – a brand new compilation of heartfelt tracks by women with soul, for women with soul.
Female artists have taken centre stage in the last five years, with the likes of Amy Winehouse and Adele tapping into a rich heritage of soul singers that can be traced back through the nu-soul of the nineties to sixties legends like Etta James, Nina Simone and Dusty Springfield.
More recently Florence + The Machine and Lana Del Rey have picked up the baton for a new generation and explored new musical landscapes while staying true to the embodiment of soul. Not to be outdone, New Zealand has also seen artists such as Hollie Smith, Gin Wigmore, & Ladi6 soulfully expressing themselves with a uniquely modern kiwi twist.
Lady Got Soul is a collection of 20 tracks conveying the power, strength and, at times, vulnerability of modern women. It features a selection of classics and future classics by women who express themselves with their heart and soul. It is simultaneously cool and classy, classic and contemporary.
In short… Lady Got Soul
1. Amy Winehouse – Valerie (2007)
2. Alicia Keys – No One (2007)
3. Duffy – Warwick Avenue (2008)
4. Adele – Make You Feel My Love (2008)
5. Florence + The Machine – You’ve Got The Love (2009)
6. Gin Wigmore – Too Late For Lovers (2010)
7. Lana Del Rey – Video Games (2012)
8. Sade – Soldier Of Love (2010)
9. Aretha Franklin – (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (1967)
10. Nina Simone – Feeling Good (1965)
11. Erykah Badu – On & On (1997)
12. India.Arie – Brown Skin (2001)
13. Estelle – No Substitute Love (2008)
14. Ladi6 – Like Water (2011)
15. Ruth Brown – I Don’t Know (1959)
16. Dusty Springfield – Son Of A Preacher Man (1964)
17. Rumer – Slow (2011)
18. Etta James – At Last (1960)
19. Melody Gardot – Baby I’m A Fool (2009)
20. The Mt Raskil Preservation Society Featuring Hollie Smith – Bathe In The River (2006)
LADY GOT SOUL – ALBUM AVAILABLE 20th APRIL 2012